Monday, October 6, 2008

sex, my body, and my response to your response.

So I got a comment on my profile picture today… explaining that putting my body on display doesn’t correlate to acquiring respect. Which in a lot of ways is probably true. The objectification of the female body has always been one of a dualistic distinction. We as women have been taught that we need to keep our clothes on to garner respect. My whole thing is…. Honestly, who really cares?

My body is mine and mine alone. It is the expression of whatever I choose it to be…. Whether mother, or saint, or whore.. My body is just that… a body. It comprises all and none of those things, because we as a society label others and ourselves that way.

Nevertheless, what connotations I place upon myself are founded upon things that inhibit my desire to express or hide my sexuality. It does not make me any less of a woman to show my body, as it equally does not make me any less of woman to put it on.

We as women fit many roles, some we proudly share with the rest of the world… some we lock away in dark closets because of the shame we ascribe to it…. But why should we have to..? Why should anyone?

I understand the issues feminists make about the exploitation of bodies and how we as females perpetuate subjugation by buying into what society wants us to be as women… but has anyone ever asked.. Why can’t I be expressive, or sexy, or provocative and still maintain an internal sense of integrity and respect?

It’s not being naked that makes me a whore or a slut, it’s the label that you place upon the action that makes it so. The event in an of itself is neutral, relative…. But because I am female, and scantly clad I have instantaneously lessened my status as a woman within the world….. Really?

My respect is developed within my person, and the choices that I make. The fact that I am comfortable with revealing parts of myself is some thing that should not devalue my character. And, if anyone decides to judge me simply based on the fact that I dress or act or look provocative…. that is not some one I want to associate with.

I spent the last 8 months around an individual who continually devalued and judged me based upon these things…. Things I’ve spent my entire life battling with. I have come to terms with the fact that people are threatened by the notion a woman who respects themselves enough to make many of the same decisions men make (in regards to their body and sexuality) with no qualms or regrets.

A picture isn’t going to change that.

Though I might get some unwarranted attention, your response to me "valuing my body" will be the same as those who are silly enough to make a crude distinction or comment about it…. &%^$%%*&%#$#%$!!!!!!

No comments: